A little while back, I was tagged by Marcus to make a post of five charities that I think are good to contribute to. Without further ado, the five I’ve come up with are:
1. The American Diabetes Association (ADA)- I participated in the local diabetes walk in October, and I work at a company that manufactures diabetes diagnostic products. There’s a family history of diabetes, and that puts me at risk, and I’d love to see a cure.
2. St. Jude’s Children’s Hospital– Children are accepted for treatment regardless of the family’s ability to pay. Their research is changing the way children are treated for cancer and other diseases.
3. Children of Promise– Similar to charities like Compassion International (also a good one to donate to), where you sponsor a child from another country. It’s a ministry of the Church of God, and the coordinators Paul and Brenda Maxfield are dear friends. They personally visit all of the sponsored children every year!
4. Pet Refuge– I don’t know if this is strictly local or not, but I’m a big fan of Pet Refuge. They are a no-kill animal shelter, and they have many volunteers that foster animals until they can be adopted. They are always in need of money and supplies.
5. The American Cancer Society and their Relay for Life- Cancer has personally touched so much of my family, and continues to touch the lives of so many people. I can only imagine how the world would look if we could find a cure for cancer.